The topic: Outdoor play. Did you know that September 24, 2011, is Worldwide Day of Play where you are supposed to turn off the TV and play outside. I'm sure you've seen the commercials on Nick Jr. or Nickelodeon. They did it last year and during that time they even stopped regular programming to encourage kids to get outside! My kids would live outdoors if they could. I don't care if it's raining, snowing, windy, hot, it doesn't matter, they want to play outside! So what do we like to do outside? It's more like what don't we do outside. This year Clorox 2® is a proud sponsor of Nickelodeon's 8th Annual Worldwide Day of Play. So take the Clorox2® Play 2Day pledge to play outside! This is no problem for my family!
When it comes to outdoor activities my kids wrote the book. We've done hikes, nature walks, rode trikes, played in water, splashed in puddles, drawing with chalk. If you can think of it, we've done it or we've tried it. Fortunately we live in this awesome neighborhood and we have great neighbors with kids the same age as mine so we have lots of company when we go outside. Our families are so close that we even put a gate in between the houses when we had fences built so the kids could run back and forth between the yards.
So what are our favorite outdoor activities? Here's our top 5:
- Nature walks- my kids are 3 and 2 and they love collecting things. We used to have woods in the back of our house (before they started building more houses) and we would take walks. Along the way, the kids would pick up rocks, leaves, bugs, anything interesting they could find. It's become a fun and educational activity we like to do anywhere we go. They even took a small nature walk from the school to the car, picking up pine cones and pine needles...LOL
- Playing in water/swimming pool. Who would have thought one of those blow up swimming pools would be so much fun? It was my best purchase of the summer! The kids loved it. I swear there was one week when they were in the pool every day! Swimming lessons are next on our list!
- Trike races- My neighbors have a large cemented patio so the kids love to take the trikes and have trike races. I'm telling you it looks like NASCAR when they go at it. And the best part is they can do it no matter what the weather!
- Splashing in the puddles. Now this is a tried and true favorite. I bought the kids rain boots and rain coats so they love to go outside when it rains and splash around in the puddles. Then they can come in the garage, strip everything off and go about their business without making a mess of my house. I mean, what kid doesn't love to splash in puddles.
- Last but not least, the playsets! We have a play set that my husband built and the neighbors have one too! The kids never get bored because they can run from one to the other swinging, using the monkey bars, climbing the rope, going down the slides and anything else they can come up with!
Disclosure: “I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Clorox2® blogging program, for a gift card worth $40. For more information on how you can participate, click here.